Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Keeping up with the missing homework

Hey there! Two of my favorite blogs are Fun In Room B and Ladybug Teacher Files! They are both hosting an Optimum Organization Linky Party, so I had to join!




Homework has always been one of my biggest downfalls. I hate checking it, and I hate grading it. What I hate most, however, is keeping up with the students who haven't turned it in!

This year, I plan on doing much better with managing, organizing, and grading homework. As I went "Googling for different methods, I ran across this awesome article at http://teachers.net/wong/SEP06/. I, then remembered that I pinned a "pink slip" type form on my classroom inspiration Pinterest board. Once I clicked on the pin, I was sent to this same website!


Well, I really liked this idea so I decided to tweak the form a bit to make it my own and to fit the style of my classroom. Below is a picture of the one I created.


  
What do you think? I especially love the line that says "I did not have time to complete my homework because_________" I get this excuse ALL THE TIME, even from the parents! Drives me nuts!
 
Here is how I plan to use this form:
 
I typically check homework for completion, every day in the morning, while students are completing morning work. Before I even call students back to my table to check their homework, I want them to have already checked to make sure their homework is complete and grab/complete an Oh No form, if needed. This way, it will save plenty of time. I will check over the "oh no" form and keep it in a folder at my table.
 
My kiddos have the option of completing the homework at school during their free time or "working lunch", or at home. (A working lunch is when students are able to come into the classroom with me and complete their work, instead of eating lunch with their friends in the lunchroom). Once they have completed their homework, they must bring it to me and I will staple their "Oh No" form to the homework and write the date of completion on top of the homework. This way I will remember that the homework is late and take off the necessary amount of points when I later grade the homework for accuracy.
 
I send home student work weekly and this way, parents can see the reasons that points are being deducted. Also great for using in conferences!

How do you manage missing homework? Remember to link up with either of the hosts to join this great linky party!

2 comments:

  1. Great form! I need to do a better job of tracking why my students do not have their homework. Thanks for sharing :)
    Erin
    Shenanigans in 6th Grade Math

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this form! I've used one in the past, but haven't for years. Thanks for the reminder that this works :) Thanks for linking up with us, too!

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete