Monday, July 1, 2013

Graded Papers Folder

Hello loves!

I wanted to share how I  keep track of my graded papers. First off, I am not very great at managing my time wisely and grading weekly papers every week. I usually wait until Sunday to grade it all... Can you say no life? haha. Anyways, my goal this year is to grade at least two sets of papers a day to help with my endless stack of papers. Well, our PTA bought me this amazing mailbox from Really Good Stuff that I am so excited to use. It is made of sturdy wood with 27 paper slots and two trays attached on the sides (I plan on using those trays for my absent folders and extra copies of assignments)

Every student has a Tuesday Folder where I put all their graded papers in and send home on you guessed it.. Tuesday! When they turn in their Tuesday Folder each week, presumably on Wednesday, they will place their folders in their mailbox. This way I can easily see who has not turned them in.  As I finish grading each set of papers for the remainder of the week, I can put them in their mailbox on top of their Tuesday Folder so that when I put their papers in the folder everything is all right there! Easy peasy right?

Also, when I send home their graded papers, I DO NOT WANT THEM BACK, unless they are needed for their portfolios! I do not have the filing space, nor do I want to keep up with them. I do, however, want to make sure that parents are seeing their child's grades. Therefore, every week when I send home papers, I include a form that shows all of the assignments and the grades for each, as well as their conduct and work habit scores for the week. Here is the form I used for the last week of school.
Each week, I copy this form for each student and fill in their grades for each assignment and an N,S, or E in each Conduct and Work Habit category. For the next week, I can simply adjust the week dates and the assignment names. The comment section allows the parents to share concerns over academic or behavior issues or question my grading. Eek to the second part, but it does happen. This is the only form I want back inside their folder. I take this form out and put it in their individual student folders located in my file cabinet. I figure it's much easier to keep one form with all their grades than all of their actual graded papers. These weekly forms also are great for conferences. "Oh you didn't know your child was getting an N on their report card for completing classwork on time? Well let's look at their weekly graded summary form and see where you signed that you saw their N each week in that category." Does that sound cynical? Oops! I don't want parents to be surprised AT ALL when report cards come out and this procedure has greatly helped with that.

Well I think that pretty much sums it all up. Let me know if you have any questions. Please share how you keep up with your student's graded papers.


2 comments:

  1. The mailboxes is a great idea! We have Thursday Folders for 6th graders, and by the end of the year, I am down to just a couple remaining :( To manage all of the papers, I have a hanging folder on my whiteboard. As I grade papers (usually once a week..haha) I put them in the class period's folder. I pass out all papers on Thursdays to go in the folders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bria, could have been a post straight out of my classroom - great minds think alike! I have the exact same system..Tuesday Folders and all! I have a sheet stapled into the folders that parents date and sign. It also has 4 check box options for parents to comment on their child's work - Very Pleased, Satisfied, Concerned, Please Contact Me for A Conference. I may have to work on incorporating your ideas into our folders this year. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete